Join us in Sheffield for a conference about care and support within vibrant neighbourhoods.
Event | 18.04.23
The future of care and support is in our neighbourhoods. We are the answer. The current system isn’t working but we know the solutions we need:
1. Rooted in neighbourhood - The response to the COVID pandemic revealed the enormous capacity of citizens to provide mutual support and keep each other safe.
2. Peer powered - There are new ways of working for citizens and professionals, cutting out bureaucracy, trusting citizens and empowering frontline workers.
3. Creative - Support must be personalised so everyone can be included as an equal in the life of the community - cherishing our wonderful diversity.
4. Built on human rights - Everyone must have freedom, meaningful entitlements and the chance to participate and contribute in their own way.
5. Investing in community - We need to invest in our citizens, families and communities and stop the wasteful export of people, money and talent from our neighbourhoods.
Date: Thursday 18th May
Time: 10am - 5pm BST (doors open at 9am)
Venue: Victoria Hall, Norfolk Street, Sheffield S1 2JB
The venue is wheelchair accessible and the event will be BSL interpreted. If you have any queries about accessibility please email Nicola.
A vegan lunch will be provided for all attendees.
Register for tickets on eventbrite at:
Let’s grow these ideas together and create the changes we need here in Yorkshire and around the world. You can find out more about these ideas here.
As well as lots of time for connecting and conversation there will be great talks from local, national and global citizens, including:
Glyn Butcher | Markus Vähälä | Wendy Lowder | Tim Keilty | Kate Fulton | Chris Watson | Frances Brown | Angela Fell | Simon Duffy | Akeela Mohammed | Sam Moon | Hannah Gray | John Dalrymple | Jan Walmsley | Bob Rhodes | Jessie Joe Jacobs | Maff Potts | Sandy Marshall | Debbie Stephens | Fionn & Jonathan Angus | Eri Mountbatten-O'Malley | Cat D Rees | Selva Mustafa | James Lock | Vinesh Kumar | Vanessa Powell-Hoyland | Eleanor Rutter | Kathryn Littlewood | Liz Leach | Laird Ryan
This event is supported by: Lankelly Chase | Barnsley Council | Well Doncaster | Self Directed Futures | iDirect | Opus Independents | Radical Visions | PFG Doncaster | Sheffield Voices | Flourish Café | Camerados | Compassionate Sheffield | SDS Network | Fionnathan Productions | Citizen Network Research | Inclusion North | The Democracy Network | Disability Sheffield | UBI Lab Network | Compass | NHS Sheffield | Rotherham Doncaster & South Humber NHS Foundation Trust
If you would like to support this event please email Simon.
A guide to accessible spaces in Sheffield has been developed with Sheffield City Council and this link shares information about the venue Victoria Hall: https://www.accessable.co.uk/sheffield-city-council/access-guides/victoria-hall-methodist-church
For travel information please visit: https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/trains-stations/at-the-station/station-facilities/shf
And, if you're planning to stay for the weekend check out Our Favourite Places for more things to do.
This event is part of 2023's Festival of Debate; view the full programme of events here.