Join us in Sheffield for a conference about care and support within vibrant neighbourhoods.
Event | 15.03.23
The future of care and support is in our neighbourhoods. We are the answer. The current system isn’t working but we know the solutions we need:
1. Rooted in neighbourhood - The response to the COVID pandemic revealed the enormous capacity of citizens to provide mutual support and keep each other safe.
2. Peer powered - There are new ways of working for citizens and professionals, cutting out bureaucracy, trusting citizens and empowering frontline workers.
3. Creative - Support must be personalised so everyone can be included as an equal in the life of the community - cherishing our wonderful diversity.
4. Built on human rights - Everyone must have freedom, meaningful entitlements and the chance to participate and contribute in their own way.
5. Investing in community - We need to invest in our citizens, families and communities and stop the wasteful export of people, money and talent from our neighbourhoods.
Date: Thursday 18th May
Time: 10am - 5pm BST (doors open at 9am)
Venue: Victoria Hall, Norfolk Street, Sheffield S1 2JB
The venue is wheelchair accessible and the event will be BSL interpreted. If you have any queries about accessibility please email Nicola.
A vegan lunch will be provided for all attendees.
Register for tickets on eventbrite at:
Let’s grow these ideas together and create the changes we need here in Yorkshire and around the world.
As well as lots of time for connecting and conversation there will be great talks from local, national and global citizens, including:
Glyn Butcher | Wendy Perez | Markus Vähälä | Cheryl Barrott | Tim Keilty | Kate Fulton | Chris Watson | Frances Brown | Gavin Barker | Angela Fell | Simon Duffy | Akeela Mohammed | Sam Moon | Hannah Gray | John Dalrymple | Jan Walmsley | Bob Rhodes and more to be announced soon...
This event is supported by Lankelly Chase | Self Directed Futures | iDirect | Opus Independents | Radical Visions | PFG Doncaster | Sheffield Voices | Flourish Café | SDS Network | UBI Lab Network | Citizen Network Research | Inclusion North
If you would like to support this event please email Simon.
A guide to accessible spaces in Sheffield has been developed with Sheffield City Council and this link shares information about the venue Victoria Hall:
For travel information please visit:
And, if you're planning to stay for the weekend check out Our Favourite Places for more things to do.
This event is part of 2023's Festival of Debate; view the full programme of events here.